It is through the small things we do that we learn, not the big things

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Listening

When I ask you to listen and you start giving me advice, you have not done what I asked.


When I ask you to listen and you start to tell me why I should not feel that way, you trampled my feelings.

When I ask you to listen and you feel you must do something to solve my problem, you do not help me, as strange as it may seem.

Listen, is all I ask you to do.

I don't want you to tlak or to do something I ask you only to listen.

Advice is cheap, I have the same in a newspaper in section of heart and my horoscope.

I want to act by myself, I am not helpless, maybe a little discouraged and faltering but not helpless.

When you do something for me that I can do by myself, you contribute to my fear, you accentuated my disability.

But when you accept as a simple fact that I feel what I feel (regardless of rationality) I can convince you to stop and I can try to begin to understand what lies behind these irrational feelings.

When it is clear, the answers are obvious, I do not need advice.

Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what is behind.

Perhaps this is why prayer works sometimes for some people, because the divine is quiet.
  • He or she does not give advice
  • He or she does not try to fix things
  • They just listen and let you solve the problem yourself.

So please, listen and hear me.

And if you want to talk, wait just a minute and I'll listen.